In the dynamic world of e-commerce and omnichannel retail, mastering reverse logistics is non-negotiable for maintaining a competitive edge. However, several businesses lack a solid comprehension of what reverse logistics refers to, how to effectively handle it, and curate strategies to curb it.
In simple terminology, reverse logistics is when customers return products to the seller or manufacturer. If it is not managed efficiently, it can be costly and cumbersome for businesses of all sizes.
This is why every business should have robust e-com shipping solutions to move goods back from the customer’s destination. Considering the growing trend of reverse logistics, in 2022, the global reverse logistics market size was US$ 946.63 billion and is expected to reach US$ 2446.17 billion by 2030. This proves why you, as a business, must stay one step ahead of the game.
Why Is It Important to Have a Solid Reverse Logistics Plan?
It is important for every business to handle reverse logistics prudently because of the following reasons:
- Conformity to regulatory requirements
- Positive and consistent customer experience and improved brand image
- Reduction in business costs
- Increased consumer satisfaction. It has been observed that 67% of buyers check the returns policy before making a purchase, while 81% of consumers expect simple, hassle-free, and free returns. This proves why having a solid strategy will enhance consumer satisfaction.
- Improved sustainability with a reduction of waste material and environmental footprint
- Competitive leverage as compared to other e-commerce businesses.
Managing the RTO Process
The RTO process includes the management of returned and surplus. Below are the steps involved in the procedure:
Step 1 – Processing the returns
Step 2 – Dealing with returns – recycling, reselling, refurbishment, restocking, or reclamation of goods.
Step 3 – Maintaining the efficient flow of goods
Step 4 – Creating value and completing the product life cycle
Step 5 – Reducing costs and risks
4 Strategies to Elevate the RTO (Return to Origin) Process
Here are some of the key strategies that businesses can implement to streamline their RTO in the shipping process:
1. Incorporate Automation and AI
The need of the hour is for every e-commerce industry to switch to an emerging set of technology trends that offer speedy returns, reduced efforts, and optimized costs. Businesses are entering the world of digitization of physical warehouses, which helps them in the following ways.
Given below are the key steps to incorporating automation and AI in the RTO process:
- Scan returned packages using smartphones and reintegrate them.
- Use augmented reality to obtain details of the product, the return, and the destination.
- Update the returns register to speed up the resale of products.
- Apply robotics, data analytics, machine learning, and artificial intelligence (AI) to process large volumes of transactions.
- Streamline processes to augment response times and mitigate human error.
- Implement AI to facilitate warehouse operations and improve product traceability.
- Use predictive models to understand customer portfolios, assess the volume of transactions, understand the types of returns/exchanges, and finally make better decisions.
2. Integrate Reverse Logistics and Streamline the Returns Flow
Gone are the days when e-commerce businesses were more concerned about reducing the cost of returns. The focus has moved to increase profitability with a restructured RTO in the shipping process.
This is the reason it is crucial to integrate reverse logistics into the overall logistics flow and optimize delivery routes and returns under the same routing order. Additionally, it’s vital to implement data unification strategies and maximize the resale of returned products.
3. Offer Seamless Communication to Consumers
92% of customers claim that they will only repurchase from a vendor if they are satisfied with the RTO process and policy. This underscores the essential nature of transparent and effective communication.
If you are looking for ways to offer satisfaction and better visibility to your consumer base, offer standardized consumer communication channels. This ensures immediate interaction, quick shipments and returns, and better visibility of returned orders or exchanges.
4. Ensure Effective Carrier Communication
It is imperative to have consistent, automated, and clear communication with the carriers. You can avoid unnecessary delays, high risks and costs, and poor consumer experience if you have robust and effective e-commerce shipping solutions.
Businesses are moving to automated NDR (Non-Delivery Report) management software that helps them communicate responses directly to delivery agents and carriers. In this regard, data analytics conducted by the software can help you counter several oddities related to carriers.
For instance, one of the leading e-commerce shipping services, Shipyaari Delta, sends automated WhatsApp communications to the end customers clients to reduce the overall RTO (Return to Origin). You can easily employ this communication tool to facilitate seamless and real-time information exchange.
In this digital era, several businesses neglect their relevance and end up with a negative customer experience and high costs.
It is time to change the perception and enhance the consumer experience by augmenting the reverse logistics strategies. It eventually differentiates your business from the existing competition, improves consumer experience, and adds value to your brand image!
If you are looking for professional support regarding reverse logistics for your e-commerce business, Shipyaari is here to help. We offer the most critical logistic services that can take your business to new heights.